Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Monday, October 17, 2011

Home-cooked meals, classes, and a fire.


There are lots of good things happening right now. Looking around me I’m so blessed,  it’s pretty incredible. No doubt in my mind that this was the right move for me to make...even if I have to pee in a bucket at night time for the year! 

This weekend was good. Heather and I visited the Brewery on Saturday for quite a few hours and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Sunday was just a lazy day full of Dexter and reading.

Last week I made my first official home cooked meal. I made (with the help of Heather) rice and stir fry of onions, garlic and carrots. We’re a little limited with vegetable choice here, so just going with what we have! We even had wine, and only a minor problem when the power strip I bought in Addis started burning and almost caught on fire. I learned 3 lessons from this experience of the almost fire…1. Don’t buy power strips from street shops in Addis because they will burn your house down 2. Heather stays calm in all situations (as I was walking back into the room I hear…”Uhh…Liz, there’s a fire…yup…a fire…” 3. IF there was an actual fire in my apartment, I still have no idea what I would do.  There’s no fire station here…stop, drop and roll? THEN, on Sunday, I made popcorn and actually started it on fire for real. I think this whole cooking thing is going to take a while for me to get down...


Ha, Anyway…Today is Monday and I think it should be a good week. Classes start later this week or next week. (I asked…and there’s no set date. What the heck, right??) I’ll be teaching Spoken English 203, a class for English majors who are 2nd year students. All of the students here are working towards their degree in teaching, but my students will be specifically working on English. They will graduate to become primary school teachers grades 1-4, responsible to teach all subjects including English. 

I met with a teacher named Teddy who’s great, and so helpful. He has taught 203 before, so he’s helping me make sure I have everything in place. I don’t know how I would make it here if the people weren’t so wonderful! He also invited me to his house the next time they slaughter a lamb….so excited to see that! I had a meeting with him this morning, and then we had some tea. I also met my new Amharic tutor who I’ll be paying to help me with my Amharic so I can learn more. She seems great, so I’m excited to start that as well.

Once I get all the materials for my classes, I will be one busy lady. I’m heading in to town for coffee and work this afternoon and then out for dinner with friends. Right now is lunchtime, in which the whole town shuts down for at least 2 hours. I made myself an egg and avocado sandwich which was pretty fancy if I do say so myself J

Anyway, just wanted to give an update on how things were. Life is pretty great here. I miss my family, but I really think that before I know it, it will be July and I’ll be flying home.  I Skyped with them yesterday and would have given anything to be having a Sunday at home, watching the football game and eating chili on a Fall day. Oh well, that’s the opportunity cost of things like this I guess!

Hope you all have a great week

 <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment