Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Back to reality

I'm currently sitting in Addis airport getting ready to board the airplane soon to head back to Gondar. Don't get me wrong, I really am looking forward to getting back to Gondar, back to work, starting another semester  with new students, my friends, my "house", I even miss Ethiopian food...BUT, this vacation was much needed and one of the best experiences of my life.

My last post was about Nairobi and looking back, still I am just in awe of how well we were treated and how blessed we were to stay with such an incredible family. After a few days in Nairobi, we took the night bus to Mombassa and Mombassa proved to be nothing less than amazing.

The first night in Mombassa we stayed at a backpackers hostel. We went out on the town the first night and partied in a beach bar that when we got too hot from dancing, we could just walk out to the ocean. As Nigisti and I were standing on the beach cooling off, it was just one of those moments where life just feels surreal.

We spent about 5 days in Mombassa playing at the beach, picking sea shells, laying in the sun, swimming in the ocean, sneaking into fancy resorts, eating fresh fish, consuming our weight in icecream (a luxury we don't have here in Gondar), shopping, finding amazing East African fabrics, we rode on a camel and on a bodaboda (motorcycles that are used as taxis around town), we visited Holler Park a conservation/zoo type place to feed giraffes and met some amazing people.

Other than the first night, we stayed with a lady who we met through couchsurfers.org (best invention ever). Her place was in a great location, she was so helpful and a good time to hang out with. There was another couchsurfer staying at her place at the same time, and small world because he was from Chicago! So it was a good time getting to know them and hanging out with people.

I feel so thankful to have had such a great vacation- seriously, people are so good. This world is so incredible and filled with many terrible things...BUT so many more amazing things. Heading back home with loads of jewelry, fabrics and a killer sunburn on my shoulders. I think I saw it's been a success :)

Here a few pics of the trip...





<3

No comments:

Post a Comment