Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Sunday, March 4, 2012

I have a confession...


Ok, I have a confession. I love fancy things. I have an inner beauty queen who loves to be pampered with manicures and pedicures, I love to eat at fancy restaurants and be in places that make me feel elegant and classy.

Sometimes this is hard when I’m living in Ethiopia.

Don’t get me wrong, I obviously did not come to Ethiopia to be pampered. I have a huge heart to serve and to do good in this world. If I got a phone call tomorrow and was asked to serve in Southern Sudan, Niger or Haiti I would do it in a heartbeat. This world needs people who are willing to go and serve in places where other people don’t want to go, and I feel like I have the ability to be one of those people. On the other hand, I love a good pedicure.

This weekend I traveled to a nearby lake town called Bahir Dar (about 3 hour bus ride from Gondar). I had to come because of work (a post that I will write about another day…a big project going on!) After the first night in a 10$ hotel which was clean, mildly comfortable, with luke warm water for showers…it just didn’t do it for me. I was craving an intensely hot shower, a pool to lay out by, and a bed that didn’t squeak when I turned over in the middle of the night. After living in Ethiopia for 5 months, is that really too much to ask!?

I decided to treat myself to a night at the Kuriftu. A resort and spa in Bahir Dar on the lakeside. A night comes with a complementary massage, manicure, pedicure, an amazing breakfast and delicious 3 course dinner. The rooms are incredible filled with a luxurious bed, a patio with a view of the lake and comfortable seating area and even a fire place to relax by at night. It might be a tiny bit out of my budget, but far less than what I would pay for a decent nights rest in the states! I just decided to use my American money and go for it…that’s what credit cards are for, right!? (Just kidding Mom and Dad, I used my debit card…and I promise it wasn’t that expensive;)

It just so happens that we got lucky this weekend. On Saturday night my friend and I had a fire in our room. A woman comes in and sets it all up in the fireplace. We ordered a glass of wine to our room…lovely, right? Ha…well supposedly our room was the only one in the resort where fires in the fireplaces DO NOT work! 10 minutes later and our beautiful room was filled with fire smoke. Whoops…they probably should have told us that was going to happen. Our smokey room led to changing rooms at 9:30 at night and the next morning the manager (from Boston) gave us a free nights stay, without the interruption. So here I am, looking out on Lake Tana on a relaxing porch writing this blog! I guess the smoky room was worth it.   

It’s interesting for me. When I’m at places like this, being 100% honest, I love it. The last 10 days in Gondar I’ve had no water and the electricity has been out every other day. Some luxury is good for a girl every once in a while. Right?

Maybe I’m just trying to justify to myself that it’s ok to sleep here when there are countless number of kids sleeping on the streets tonight in the same city I’m visiting. The disparity is so clear to me, especially when I’m at places like this. I guess I’m still trying to figure out how what I truly think and feel about that disparity which is going to be there regardless of if I spend my money for a night at the Kuriftu or not. It’s a hard balance to master. For me, it’s being able to mindlessly enjoy while other boys are sleeping in flour sacks…I guess I’m not sure what to think.

This weekend has been fantastic. I’ve gotten so much work done, feel 100% relaxed and have gotten my fill of luxury. At the same time, the luxury takes a toll on my conscience...

Hope you all had a lovely weekend,

<3

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Elizabeth! It is a well composed writing! Waiting to read more of your adventures! GBU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz! It's been far too long! We are moving to Alaska in May, so I made a blog for my family to see pictures of Brody and keep up on what we are up to (since i'm too school for cool for Facebook). And then I remembered you had a blog...it sounds like you are having an incredible experience! I'm so sad we will be gone when you come back to the states...I hope we can connect thru this tho! I miss you! I would email you but I don't know where to find your address on here...mine is jennifer.hovey@my.ndsu.edu if you want to give me your email we can chat thru there. Otherwise you can check out pictures of brody at jlbing.blogspot.com...love u!

    ReplyDelete