Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Puking and Poetry

So I realized I haven't given many updates lately, so I decided to let you all know what's been going on here in Tanzania. To be honest, it has been fairly uneventful. I finished my full time student teaching which feels good. It's strange but exciting that next time I'll be teaching full time, will be in classroom of my own! I have a few more lessons to teach as I phase out, but for the most part I'm done. Soon, I'll start to observe other classrooms in the primary school, and I'm officially done in 2 weeks!

This past weekend was really low key because Laura was sick. We have gotten by pretty good so far because neither of us have been terribly sick, but it was rough for her this weekend. I went out on Saturday and ventured to the Cultural Heritage Center and bought a tanzanite necklace (a graduation gift :) ), which I pick up tomorrow and can hardly wait. I picked out the stone, and this week they are setting it for me. Otherwise, on Saturday I picked up some sprite and crackers for Laura and then went to a concert that night which the school on.

Unfortunately, I must have caught what Laura had because on Monday night I started puking :(. Given, I know I'm dramatic and a big baby, but it was terrible. Like really, really terrible.  24 hours later, and at least 8 puking sessions, as well as a crying phone call home... I finally felt better, but I missed school on Tuesday, and probably shouldn't have gone today. I just feel weak, and tired. The worst part was having no one around to hold my hair back, bring me movies or rub my back. I know, I know, I'm a giant wuss...but being sick in Africa is on my list of Top 10 Least Favorite Things..for sure.

Being back at school today pooped me out. I left right at 2:30 when school got out and headed to AfriCafe(where I am now) to get some tea and use the internet. The good thing about school today was that we started a unit on poetry which was really great. It was awesome to see what some of those kids came up with. We read poetry from Shell Silverstein's books and it made my day for sure. We also read The Giving Tree which is one of my favorite books of all time.

Life is good in Tanzania, about 3 weeks left. Oh, and I extended my trip and am officially going to Zanzibar with my friend Erik. A friend from MSUM is from Zanzibar, and we're staying at her brother's resort which should be awesome. I'm stoked to finish student teaching, and have a relaxing vacation on the beach before I head back to the states to graduate, and figure out what the heck I'm gonna do with my life!  Good things to come :)

I will leave you with one of my all time favorite Shell Silverstein poems!
<3 Happy Wednesday... (PS...If you are reading this and are in Fargo/Moorhead, Happy Snow Day!)


hug_o_war_by_shel_silverstein-large-msg-116201123022.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment