Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Friday, March 4, 2011

Sunshine, Chai and Sleeping In

It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting outside on my front porch. The sun is warm already, the birds are chirping and there is the occasional cow and goat noises in the background. It's my favorite place to be in the mornings when I have time. I typically come out here, read, write in my journal, spend time in the Word, and now that I have internet access at my house I can blog. I'm excited it's the weekend, it's been a long week.

This was my first week of full-time student teaching. That means I do it all! It's exciting because I loved it, and day by day, I could see little improvements of things that I was learning. Little things like transitions or timing, or dealing with chatty kids are coming easier. We also had a couple of discipline issues this week which were interesting to deal with/observe what to do. By no means will I become a pro while full time teaching for 3 weeks, but it's a pretty good start. It feels good to know this is what I want to be doing and what I want to put my heart into, to be as good as I can be.

After a week that was quite exhausting, last night a friend drove me to the Zain store after school to get my internet figured out. I'm quite excited I can now Skype and be online when I'm at home...hopefully it will make life a little easier! After that excursion, I went to go hang out with him and some other people at a Trivia night at a local restaurant. It was for an organization called Food Water Shelter helping Tanzanian orphans. Even though I really suck at trivia, it was fun and my team was pretty good! We actually ended up getting 2nd place, which means dinner for 4 and 2 bottles of wine :) I would say it was a successful night for sure!

Today, I am going to get ready here and head to school. ISM is hosting an International Day Festival which they hold every year. Supposedly it's a big deal and tons of people go, so it should be fun. We'll be there most of the afternoon, and then we're heading to TGT to watch the Arusha rubgy team play which will be awesome. Our friend is on the team, so it will be sweet to see him play, plus I've never seen a rugby game before!

Tomorrow my plan is to go to church, and lesson plan like crazy. Monday when I head to school I'm leaving for a camping trip right away in the morning. My P 5/6 students and I are going to a traditional Massai village ( the main group of tribal people still living in Tanzania) We'll sleep in bomas, or dung huts with no water, no electricity. There is a walking safari, a Massai ceremony and some other sweet stuff. It should be an awesome cultural experience, and a fun time with my students too.

Time to get going and start the day! Time journaling, reading my bible, drinking chai and writing a blog was the perfect way to start my Saturday. Have a wonderful day, Happy Saturday!!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment