Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Patience.

Today is just one of those days here in Ethiopia. Yesterday, I went to do a training at a local primary school on classroom management and techniques to teach English and again...a communication gap. This is the 3rd time a "communication gap" has occurred, and needless to say I was pretty bummed. They asked me to come again today, they informed me they would call the teachers and tell them to come but at a later time so the gap could be cleared up. SOO... I took a 20 birr bajaj ride to the school this morning at 8am, and when I arrived...no teachers. "Communication gap.." Again. At this point...I'm just so annoyed, my patience is gone and it makes me think of why the hell I'm even here...

Yes, I'm teaching here in Gondar but am I making any difference at all? If I'm not training teachers, what else am I doing other than teaching 2 classes? Why am I away from all of my friends and my family when another Habesha teacher could easily take my 2 classes of students? Last night, Skyping with my parents, sister and her boyfriend was heartbreaking for me. I talk to them and we talk about when I come home and all the good food, big party and good times at the cabin we'll have. Then when I get off Skype, I realize it's still almost 7 months away. Can I do it? Am I meant to do it? Is what I'm doing here really making a difference, is it sustainable, is it worth it, it is what I'm called to be doing??

There have been lots of tears for me the last 2 days, just missing home and feeling frustrated with all of these "communication gaps..." After I left the school this morning, a teacher at my college invited me over to her house because she knew I was upset. Her name is Melishu, and she is just great. She fed me breakfast and made me some incredible tea (with fresh mint even...cool, eh?) I got home a bit ago, and I am still just feeling out of place...I decided to go back to the source of where it all makes sense...

I have to remember to have patience. I have to remember to be joyful always and rejoice in the good things. I can do this, and I will do this, but these last 2 days it's just been painfully difficult... These verses definitely helped me out today...


2 Corinthians 6: 4-6  "As servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness, in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love"

Romans 12:11-12 "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.."

Spending time thinking, praying and making an action plan of future work I need to do has helped me. I know I have purpose here, and most days that purpose is evident. It's just that homesickness mixed with "communication gaps" makes it a lot tougher.

Keepin my chin up, praying for patience and a brighter day tomorrow.

<3


2 comments:

  1. I love you Elizabeth =) let's skype soon?? You are doing incredible things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Elizabeth - you are doing great things. Love to you today and always. Mom

    ReplyDelete