Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Friday, December 30, 2011

Asnolo Doro

 Coming home on Thursday to a live chicken in my apartment was quite the experience. To be honest, I thought my helper was going to bring it home killed, I figured I wouldn't take part in the process....but I was wrong. I laughed pretty dang hard when I walked into my living room to find a live chicken squawking about, realizing that this is how they do it here, so why would I expect anything different! Pretty sure it knew it was going to die soon...poor little lady.

Highlight of the week for sure: Helping kill a chicken (really that means standing near by, watching and wincing while taking photos), then helping clean it, cook it, and eat it. It was quite the excitement for me. In the states, we pay big money for "organic" food, and I am just as much to blame as anyone else. Here, "organic" is the standard, and you don't get much more clean or organic than killing the chicken yourself and cooking it up for dinner that night! ;) Oh the things I'm learning here in Ethiopia!

Asnolo Doro- sorry chicken...

A few pictures to show some of the excitement...

Walking in, the doro was alive an well.

Two guards came to help finish her off, women here in Ethiopia aren't allowed to kill things. 

The remains on my front stoop....as students were walking by, the ferengi with the camera, 2 guards and my helper, I'm sure we made quite the scene. 

Cleaning the bird. First, we poured boiling water on it, de-feathered it and then took it's skin off. Afterwards, she cut it up into pieces (not needing to think twice about it), gutted it, took out all the gross stuff, and put the edible chicken in a clean bucket of water to soak with lemon. 


The end result-Doro Wot. Onions, garlic, oil, burberry, salt, chicken and boiled eggs :) It's what Ethiopians make for celebrations and special occasions, for me, a post-Christmas dinner! 

Mom and Dad, next time I'll do it all by myself so that I can repeat this process when I get home in July! ;) 

<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment