Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Time in the City...well kind of.

I'm not going to lie, being away from family this year on Christmas was tough. If you know me, you know I love traditions. I love the feeling of Christmas in the states and having time that I can spend with my family uninterrupted. Christmas music, ABCs 25 Days of Christmas, checking out all the ornaments on our tree, looking at Christmas lights, pre-Christmas activities like buying/wrapping presents, Black Friday with Alex, arguing over what Christmas dinner is going to be (my family and I do this every year...really it's me just arguing if it's anything other than what I think the tradition is...) and all the other culture that makes up Christmas in the states. 

One of the teachers here, and a woman who is becoming a close friend of mine, came over to my house on Thursday before I left for Addis. Her name is Aster, and she is fantastic. She asked me what I do in America for Christmas and how we celebrate. Then she told me that she had heard people give gifts in America, and she pulled out a wrapped gift from her purse. She told me that she wanted to give me something small, just as a reminder that I am loved and needed in Gondar just like I am at home in Minnesota. She told me how grateful she is that I am here, and that she understands it must be hard to be away but she is so glad that I'm here.

It made me realize that in my short 3 months here, I have created family and friends. The next day, I traveled to Addis, the capital, for a conference with other IFESH volunteers for the weekend. Seeing all of the other volunteers made me remember once again that here in Ethiopia, they are my family.  Although they may not be close in proximity,  they would do anything for me if I needed, and I for them. It was wonderful to see everyone, catch up on how their time has been spent in Ethiopia, hear their trials and tribulations and spend some quality time together. We had a Christmas Eve Party to celebrate on Saturday night, and then on Sunday I celebrated Christmas by treating myself to a little TLC with my friend Kelly- a pedicure and manicure was the perfect cure for my home sickness. 

The Lord calls us to live life to abundance and through his birth He makes this possible. I was not able to go to church, not able to eat Christmas cookies or a giant Christmas dinner, no immediate family around, no wrapped gifts under the tree....but it was the perfect lesson. I realized it's not about the culture, the stuff, or even the family. It's about celebrating the birth of Christ,  it's about remembering the reason of WHY we are able to live life in abundance and the lesson that even the presence of family is a luxury.  Our Lord is so sweet, and even half way across the world He has provided me with the comforts of family, love, warmth the ability to live in abundance. And for that alone, it was a very merry Christmas...even if it was a little different than normal! 


Aster, Melishu, Alaseb...the 3 women I am closest with at the college. They are all amazing :) 

Flying to Addis-50 minute flight over mountains

Kelly and I "pregaming" before our Christmas Party, AKA drinking boxed wine in our hotel room :) 

Christmas Eve Dinner with the team-20 volunteer and about 10 family members were able to join us. It was fantastic. 

Dancing after dinner...quite the entertainment

A giant dancing circle definitely was made, we even included the hotel workers. 

Christmas day pedicures-giant comfy pedicure chairs, OPI nailpolish and a complimentary glass of wine :) What could be better!

Icecream after the pedicures! Incredible-

Hope you all enjoyed your Holidays, found many things to be thankful for on Christmas and feel as blessed as I do. Merry Christmas, time to bring in 2012 :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment