Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Saturday, December 3, 2011

T.I.A...This is Africa...


        This has been one heck of a busy week, which is exciting but also exhausting. Today was supposed to be my first teacher training session with one of the primary schools that I’m working with. I was going to give training on Classroom Management on Saturday, and techniques when teaching English on Sunday. 13 teachers, 10 hours, I was ready to go and feeling good about it. My colleague Mary who I visited last weekend in Bahir Dar even came into town for the weekend to observe the training.

I woke up at 6 am to tie up some final strings, got ready for the training and made my way to the school. I picked up Mary on the way and when we arrived we walked into the Director’s office. When I walked in, he kindly greeted me but also looked confused to see me. I said, I’m here for the teacher training…where should I set up? He looks at me with confusion and said, “the training is next weekend, now we have a teacher’s meeting but no training today.  There must have been a communication error…”

Really, a communication error!? This has been planned for the last 3 weeks, how could it be a communication error! Obviously I acted as if it didn’t matter at all, and rescheduling would be fine, but what a let-down. He even said at the end, well you know, “this is Africa…” After that comment I looked at Mary and almost burst out laughing at the outrageous irony of that comment coming from this man.  In the same breath, although ironic, it is true. Things here are so much different than in the states. Although frustrating at times, it helps to teach me patience, flexibility and is definitely humbling although nonetheless annoying when things like this occur!

Mary and I walked back to her hotel where she and her sister are staying and had quite the ranting session. We then enjoyed many cups of coffee and a leisurely morning at her hotel which made things better. 

It’s exciting that they are in town, and now a busy weekend has suddenly turned into a weekend for rest. This actually may work out quite well since I’m not feeling so great. I came down with a cold on Monday, and it’s just gotten worse. The past 2 days my stomach has been really upset as well (note, this is where a bathroom within close proximity would be amazing and would eliminate the terrible incidents that have occurred…) Then, this morning when I woke up I felt like one of the herd of cattle and trampled over me…so… maybe a relaxing weekend with no plans is just what I need.
Either way, being sick (especially stomach sick), having uncomfortable bathroom incidents, and having “communication errors” all I can think of as I lay in my bed now is, T.I.A….This is Africa.

Hope you’re weekend has been more enjoyable than mine! As they say here, “Izosh” be strong…chin up..

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment