Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Camp in Ethiopia, what could be better! :)


Last weekend I led a camp with the help of 5 volunteer and the lovely people at Yenege Tesfa- Hope for Tomorrow. We played with, laughed with, taught, sang and served 35 orphans who are all a part of the Yenege Tesfa organization. There are 50+ kids in 3 shelters in the Gondar area and it is an understatement to say that it was an incredible 4 days.

Some of the things we did included a trash pick up around Gondar and students learned all about recycling and why it’s important to dispose of our trash properly. On Sunday, we focused on health. We had speakers from the Gondar Hospital come in and talk about malnutrition, and having a healthy body. Then, that afternoon we went and played with the malnourished children in the hospital. It was a really good opportunity for the kids to serve, and realize that although they may be with out parents, their health is something to be thankful for.  On Monday, we focused on Gender Inequality issues and had an intense debate about gender issues here in Ethiopia. It was great to listen to, even if it was in Amharic. We finished up the 4 days on Tuesday when we talked all about leadership, made self-portraits and reflected on the week.  Pretty solid if I do say so myself!

It’s crazy what camp can do for kids. Having the ability to play, be silly, make crafts, serve and be loved by a role model is so important for kids- regardless of where they are in the world.  It was an amazing opportunity to lead this camp for Yenege Tesfa and I’m excited to see what comes in the future for my relationship with such an amazing nonprofit.

After Tuesday, I was pooped! 4 days, non-stop that was amazing and fulfilling…but dang tiring! Wednesday-Friday I had classes, ran errands, and gave my students oral examinations, which took up most of my free time this week!

Oh! I almost forgot, highlight of the week: Receiving 3…yes 3 packages on Tuesday! Best day ever!!! My amazing parents even sent me some homemade Christmas treats.  So thankful for little things like a package or card to remind me how close my family and friends still are!

This weekend I took part in helping test 200 primary school teachers on their English abilities.  (PS- I was SUPPOSED to do my training, but it was CANCELLED…AGAIN….really? Lame. ) Anyway, this testing…it’s an initiative through the ministry of Education to improve the English of primary school teachers in nation wide and the tests give a base line. It was great experience to be involved in and interesting to see what standardized testing is like outside of the states, but also meant a 12 hour day! Woof, remember when I first got here and was feeling like I was spinning my wheels, and was praying to get busy??? Watch out what you pray for!! J  Not complaining though, it really was good, just tiring!

Tomorrow, Sunday will be another day of testing and then filled with planning that night (and my weekly Skype date with Mom and Dad ;) ) This week I’ll be preparing my quarterly report because I’m flying to Addis for an IFESH conference on Friday. It will be great to see all the other volunteers, and to be with people I’m close to over Christmas. Plus, a vacation with a hot shower is always gladly welcomed.

Crazy that Christmas is only a week away. Doesn’t even feel like Christmas over here, maybe that’s a good thing!?  Happy Holidays my friends. 

PS- Pictures to come soon :) I'm sick of words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment