Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ebb and Flow


It ebbs and flows, has it’s ups and downs and I would be crazy to think that those waves wouldn’t hit me when I’m here in Ethiopia.  But when life ebbs here and I hit a rough patch, it’s just a little more tough than when I’m at home.

This week, don’t get me wrong, was an ok week but I’m missing home, especially today. After Skyping with my parents and then my college roommate, and my two best friends, I felt better.  At the same time, I felt so much further away from them all or maybe I just realized how far away I really am. It’s just hard to feel as far away from them as I actually am. When you’re lonely, it truly feels like half way across the world.

This week I was frustrated with Ethiopian “time” because it is so different than in the states. I was frustrated by the inappropriate and vulgar actions of dumb men who think it’s ok to make comments or rude gestures. I’m sad that Heather is officially gone, and back in the states. I was eager to get into the public schools, but disappointed when a meeting came up which made my previously scheduled school visits cancelled. I was frustrated when I planned my weekly lessons to a T, but then staff meetings, which I was never informed about commenced, and my classes were just cancelled! I was frustrated with electricity and lack there of, and annoyed with not having an accessible bathroom.  I am angry at all the bugs who love to bite me and the fact that my legs look like I am a leper. Things are just so different here and now that the shock of living in Gondar has worn off, it is going to take some adjusting. The laid back culture, different way of life, and I'm just going to have to remember to always sleep with my mosquito net on!

 I should really make a list of positive things after Downer Debby just got done ranting. .Alright, sorry for the word vomit. I'm going to allow myself to feel like things aren't great right now, and that tonight has been rough because it has been. Tears fell tonight for the first time since I've been here...a lot of tears. It took a while to make them stop, and it's ok that I don't feel in love with Ethiopia right now. Tomorrow when I wake up I will pray for a day that flows. Day to day and week to week things won't be perfect here. I just need to remember that when I stand in front of my classroom I feel like it is exactly where I am meant to be which is amazing, but that feeling doesn't make these dang bug bites itch any less!

I'll write more of a positive post soon, I promise. 

Hope all is well in America, my friends. 

<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment