Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Monday, November 21, 2011

Summer camp in Ethiopia??



Today was my busiest day yet in Ethiopia. The day began at 8am when I woke up, got ready for the day and met my tutor at 8:30. After a great tutoring session, I had 2 classes back to back with was quite entertaining today. Afterwards,  I ran back to my house, grabbed a few things, shoveled some scrambled eggs into my mouth and hustled back to my classroom to meet the women teachers on campus for our first women’s group meeting at 12:30. Whew. When that was finished at 2:00 (which went great) I hopped on a bus and rushed to make a meeting on time at 2:30. The meeting was with a woman named Nigiste, and she is the founder of a non-profit called Yenegateska- which translates to Hope for Tomorrow.

            The non-profit is for street children here in Gondar. Nigiste started it about 10 years ago. She is an incredible woman who exudes warmth and love as soon as you meet her.  She wants me to start doing art activities with the kids at the shelters a few times a week and help out with other activities they have going on. One of these other activities they have going on is a camp- that is going to occur in 2 weeks. What….summer camp in Ethiopia!?!?!? She wants me to help lead the activities because of all my experience with summer camps in the past. It will be 50 street children, 4 days and will happen in 2 weeks. Talk about short notice, but how exciting?!

I’m sitting at Central now drinking a macchiato, which reminds me of a little taste of home. To be honest, after today all I can think about is how good God is. I’ve been a bit emotional anyway the last 2 days, and now I’m sitting here in a coffee house full of Ethiopian men and am the crazy frenji with tears in her eyes.

I’m just overwhelmed- it hit me like a freight train after the meeting this afternoon. I think that the reminder of His presence in my life is exactly what I needed. Now is the first time I was able to stop and breathe today, and I am in awe of how awesome He is and how perfectly he orchestrates this life. There is so much pain, poverty, and evil in this world but through it all shines His grace, His love and the strength He gives us to persevere through all the crap.  You know when you stop, look around at your life and just have an “Ah huh….” Moment, where it all makes sense? As the smoothness and sweetness of this machiatto fall quickly into my stomach, and as I look outside to the chaotic yet colorful streets of Ethiopia I am having one of those moments.

It’s the little things, that when you look closely you see God working in this world regardless of all of the garbage. I get so caught up in the ugliness sometimes, and I forget to give praise. Today, I was lucky enough to have an “ah huh” moment and see a glimpse of clarity as to why I may be here and take time to praise. God is pretty sweet.

Hope you all had a lovely Monday and are enjoying you’re most likely short work week. Thanksgiving is fast approaching so you should head out and buy a pair of elastic waste sweat pants! I’m jealous, I would pay big bucks for some pumpkin pie!

Sending love. Pray and as I was reminded today, praise.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment