Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Walk Up"



Press Play.
"Walk Up" by Meklit Hadero. 

Things move slowly here in Gondar, but I’m starting to get used to the pace. There are two responses you hear all the time, specifically in regards to anything challenging or frustrating… 1. Izosh (be strong, chin up) or 2. Chigaralem (Don’t worry about it…)  If you know me, in the states I’m high strung so this is an adjustment but it’s nice to slow my pace a bit. I mean, who wouldn’t love 2 hour lunch breaks?!

This week has been successful. My students finished their first unit of instruction on introductions and gave their first spoken presentation today. They were quite nervous about it, but I ensured them, “Izosh, chigaralem…” and they laughed and calmed down a bit. :)  One of the highlights from the week was just teaching them. They are SO eager to learn, and one of the days I had 12 students come into my office hours just to talk. It was great, and it’s been fun to start to get to know them better.

In other news, activities are starting to pick up for me, and I have some new projects starting soon. I started a faculty women’s English club on campus and we had our first meeting this week. There are about 140 staff at the college, only 13 are women. I will be meeting with these women twice a week over lunch and working on their English skills, possibly doing a book club, writing, listening and speaking practice. It will be great for them to learn more English but I feel like I will learn even more from them since they are seasoned teachers who are so wonderful and welcoming. I'm sure there will be entertaining updates to come from the meetings. 

This week I also met a married Peace Corp husband and wife who have been living in Gondar for 2 years now. They have many connections with local NGOs and people “to know.”  They live on the top level of an orphanage and will be great contacts to have. We also had lunch with a doctor (from Lafayette, CA…how crazy is that family from CA??!!) who works in the malnutrition ward in the hospital in Gondar.  Both the PCVs and Dr. Dave are interested in having me come in and work with the children, especially with my background. I think I want to try to run a type of art program for the orphanage and also in the malnutrition ward, maybe once a week. I struggle with it, because it’s not sustainable but at the same time gives the children exposure to art, which is great regardless of what country you are in. This is just an idea at this point, but something that I am really excited about. I miss working with kids, so this would be amazing.

The main struggle of the week- “bimbee” bites, mosquitoes. I’m struggling… my legs look like I have a serious skin disease. Even the cleaning women see my ankles in a skirt and look horrified. My neighbor Mitch thinks I have fleas or bed bugs. He might be right, but I always use my bed net…and the idea of fleas or bed bugs makes me cry…so I’m going to convince myself it’s just killer mosquitos.

That’s all for now. I hope you listen to the song I posted in the beginning, it’s a new favorite from an Ethiopian-American artist named Meklit Hadero. Check her out on Itunes, it’s worth it.

Sendin out love my friends.

 <3 

1 comment: