Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Ms. Heather


Before I left, I specifically prayed for meaningful relationships here in Gondar. I’m a people person to my core, people give me energy, friendships give me substance and relationships help me to feel purpose.

Call it karma, positive energy, an answer to a prayer or just good luck but when I came here, the second day I met Heather. Heather is a Peace Corp volunteer who has been in Ethiopia for 6 months. Since I've gotten here, we've haven't gone more than 2 days without seeing each other. This past week, she decided that she is going to Early Terminate (ET)  and head back to America. Her heart just wasn't in the work she was doing and she wasn't being used to her full potential. Plus, let's be honest...a 27 month stint is a daunting amount of time to be away from home, especially when you're not loving your job! By the end of this week, she will be enjoying the comforts of America at her house in Albany, NY. 

Heather and I clicked immediately. She’s helped me immensely with my Amharic and introduced me to her amazing Ethiopian family that she lives with. We’ve sat for hours drinking juice at Central Café, took on the market, learned to make injera and learned a ridiculous amount about one another in the short 2 months that we’ve known each other. I’m so thankful that she came into my life. I’m so thankful that she introduced me to her “family” who has now adopted me as their own. I’m thankful for her friendship and I’m so sad to see her go.

On the positive, she will send me one heck of a care package! And, I now have a friend who lives in NY that I can visit- I’ve never been to the East Coast before!

To send her off, I helped to put together a going away dinner with the women at the compound and the ferengi volunteers we hang out with. We had quite the feast, which was topped off with a cake and a buna ceremony. It was a fantastic night for a fantastic person, who will be missed dearly.



The feast- including doro wot, misir wot, cabbage, fruit, salad, bread, injera, fandesha (popcorn WITH candy in it) and even soda. Quite to meal :) 


Heather and the kids 


The whole group, minus Usman who was taking the picture. Heather is in her Habesha clothes that the women bought her!

<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment