Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bugs and me don't mix...


2 slugs, 3 salamanders and 1 GIANT cockroach later. I don’t know if I’m cut out for Africa.

Ok, so maybe that was a little dramatic, but me and the scary bugs don’t mix well. It was quite the sight to see last night, 4 girls against 1 cockroach in the bathroom. The cockroach won, and Laura and I convinced ourselves that the bug just went back outside vs. is hiding somewhere to attack us in the night. Laura saw it when she walked into the bathroom and after her yelping, the other 3 girls were in the bathroom trying to problem solve what to do! I got up on the bathtub and used a coat hanger to try to shew it back outside, and we thought it worked. We all cheered, but then, I turned my head back to the window and it was sitting there again, staring at me as if it were about to jump at me. I screamed...louder than I have in quite some time. And THEN, our roommate Jess said that for every cockroach, there is another 1,000 hiding near by…like in the walls. I guess scary bugs are part of the package when you come to Tanzania, but seriously. I think if people were watching, they would have been highly entertained.

We found a slug on Brit and Laura's window, they were pretty nasty. The salamanders aren't so bad, but they're fast little buggers! I opened up my closet this morning to get ready, and the little lizard ran across my closet door. I almost had a heart attack. I feel as if there may be cockroach situations to come, or at least more encounters with terrifying small creatures, I won’t cross my fingers. 

Besides the bug situation, it’s great. Jess and I made steak, cut up some potatoes, and green beans for dinner. It was good to eat a full meal, since it’s been a hodgepodge of things lately. The steak here isn’t processed like it is at home, so it was actually really good. We went to a grocery store with the first automatic doors I’ve seen so far and got some groceries yesterday. The store had an amazing bakery, so we got some great fresh bread and bran muffins. Food is fairly expensive here if you buy things that are shipped in, which is most everything I’m used to in the states. Luckily the bread was only 2,000tsh, or about $1.50.  You can find most produce at local dukas, or stores but we’re still trying to figure out where sells the best stuff. I’m sure it will just take some time.

Now I'm at the lodge down the street on the wireless, sitting in my swimsuit after school. It's about 80 degrees here. I hear its -20 in Fargo :) 

<3 

2 comments:

  1. Liz! This all sounds so great! (well I mean the previous post, I don't know about the bugs...) I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz I read this and I could totally hear you scream about the bugs!! ha ha ha This is great. I cant wait to hear more about the first week!! MISS YOU

    ReplyDelete