Whatever You Are, Be a Good One...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My First Day :)


I’ve known that I’ve wanted to be a teacher for a long time, and have been looking forward to student teaching ever since my first day of college. I always thought of what my first day would be like, and I never imagined in a million years that I would be in Tanzania, Africa. The day began with my alarm going off at 5:30am, made some oatmeal with mango in it, and walked out the door 40 minutes later. We greeted our guard at the gate and us 4 roommates waited at the outside of the gate.

As I looked down the street, it was a picturesque scene. Women carrying buckets of water or other goods on their heads, a few stray runners, elderly sitting out in front of their stores beginning to cook whatever they were selling that day and beautiful African children walking to school in their uniforms. There was a steady flow of cars and motorcycles driving down the bumpy, rocky, dirt road and the smell of garbage burning filled the air (they typically burn the garbage here as opposed to recycling or putting in a dump). The trees were full, lush and green with beautiful flowers as if they were coloring the scene of a developing country’s road. In addition, place 4 Muzungu (white) women standing in front of metal fence, looking nervous and out of place, while hoping not to miss the bus on the first day of school.  


Luckily we didn’t miss the bus, and our yellow van with zebra covered seats (yes, zebra covered seats) came bumping down the road to pick us up. He drove us about 20 minutes to school with the other children, and by the time we were there my stomach was in knots because of the nerves. I met my teacher for the first time who I think will be fabulous. I’m eager to learn from her because I think she will have a lot to show me.

I met the children who were fantastic. They were quite the bunch of kiddos. I have P 5/6 which is the same as 4th and 5th graders in the U.S. These children are from all over the world including Canada, Madagascar, France, Sweden, Tanzania, Kenya, USA, England, Switzerland and I’m sure others. I wish I could record the classroom when we’re having a discussion because all the accent are fantastic. The students are respectful and listen like I’ve never seen before in the states. They seem open to a new teacher and are extremely kind. Today was full of great kids, lots of introductions and a full day. I’m definitely ready for a nap. I really think I’m going to fall in love with this school, the staff and the students. I’m looking forward to begin the actual teaching part !

<3 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it is going to be a great teaching experience Liz. Thanks for the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I love your blog. I am so happy and excited for you. Its such a wonderful thing to read about my country from someone else's perspective. Looking forward to more funny, exciting, humbling and strange stories from you e.g. the electric sockets. Tanzania is going to be an adventure for you, that much I can promise ;) and I like how you are catching up fast on kiswahili. Usiku Mwema Liz (means; Goodnight...as I am assuming it is there).

    ReplyDelete